Game Cancellation / Reschedule Process

What happens when bad weather threatens?

Overall the online schedule is always official and will be updated ASAP following a decision to either postpone or cancel play. Additionally as soon as a game is either outright cancelled or rescheduled the system will send out an email to impacted players & coaches with the details.

Specifically here are the two scenarios to expect;

Postponement of games PRIOR to start time:

• If it’s generally a rainy day or overnight and the fields are deemed unsuitable for play all games will be cancelled / rescheduled hours before the game time.
  • Once a particular game is cancelled or rescheduled the system will automatically notify all impacted players & coaches via email of the change including any makeup date & time.

Postponement of games NEAR OR AFTER start time:

• If we make it to near game time, it’s just “iffy”, sudden storm etc., the umpires are in charge of determining any suspension of play. If it’s a game with no umpires (i.e. Fall Ball) the coaches will then mutually make the call.

• If a game gets called or stopped in this case and a reschedule is necessary the system will send out notifications and be reflected within the online schedule.

A coach cannot decide to cancel a game IF the league has determined that games are being played.

We had an issue last year with some coaches doing this on their own with no communication with the other coach/umpires and then the other team AND umpires arrived. The umpires still got paid because they were there. We have to stress that games MUST be played unless cancelled by the league or decided upon due to severe weather once both teams have arrived.

This will be brought up at the managers meeting before the season.

I see the discrepancy and updated the above section to read “If we make it to near game time, it’s just “iffy”, sudden storm etc., the umpires are in charge of determining any suspension of play. If it’s a game with no umpires (i.e. Fall Ball) the coaches will then mutually make the call.

The original text was written during Fall Ball where we had no umpires…